Alderville Learning Centre
Alderville First Nation is located 25 kms north of Cobourg, Ontario, on Highway 45.
Alderville First Nation covers approximately 3 000 acres which includes woodland, agricultural land, water frontage on Rice Lake (Vimy Ridge) and Sugar Island located on Rice Lake.
HOW OUR NAME CAME TO BE.....
In 1824 the first session of the Canada Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church was held in Hallowal (Picton, Ontario) and William Case was transferred from Upper Canada District to Bay of Quinte as Presiding Elder. It was Elder Case who soon became involved with Indian mission work. By 1826, Elder Case had begun the conversion of many Indians around the Bay of Quinte. On October 16, 1826, the Mississaugas moved onto Grape Island and spent their first winter in bark wigwams.
There was not enough combined acreage on Grape Island to support a growing agricultural community of 208 Native people. In 1837, 3600 acres were assigned to the 'Indians of the Grape Island Mission' in the Township of Alnwick. The community was named 'Alderville' in honour of Rev. Robert Alder, one of the founding missionaries.